Our friends Jamie (go say hey) and Jason came over yesterday for lunch and brought the adorable five-month-old Andrew. Luke was noticeably jealous about the baby and especially when I held the baby. He started trying to show off for our guest, running and jumping like crazy. I tried to get him involved with Andrew and he brought over his new Batman action figure to show to him. "Batman!" Luke didn't like that Andrew wanted to play with the pull-the-string truck that vibrates and rocks. "Mine..." Luke whispered. "We share, sweetie..."
When we sat down at the table Luke put his head on my arm and whispered, "You're my mama." I just hugged him and told him what a big boy he was and how much I loved him.
After a while, when Jamie fed Andrew in Luke's rocker and I played with Luke with his trains, the baby seemed to grow on Luke. He got upset when he had to leave. He enjoyed rubbing his little head of hair. "Soft!"
A few hours later, Luke crawled up in my lap and started acting like a baby, acting like he wanted a bottle and wahhhing like a baby. So funny. Anyone have any ideas on making sure things go smoothly when Luke's brother or sister arrives this summer? We are already talking about the baby, but not too much. I also don't blame "the baby" for being tired and not being able to play as much with him (I read this causes resentment early). And of course, we do the whole "big brother" thing with him. I can already tell I'm gonna miss Luke when I'm at the hospital and I worry how he's gonna take all this change in his life. I guess pretty typical fears.
1st -Make sure that You have a Special Gift for Luke From the Baby-this really Helps. And Just Praise Him alot and let Him Help Out as Safely as possible-Ie:getting Diapers for the baby.. Handing you Wipes.. This really is a good Thing.. this Stragey help with Both David and Katie when Ryan came along.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jen! We enjoyed the visit!
ReplyDeleteWe'll do it again soon!